I finally worked out one way to rewrite my current work in progress, reduce the number of characters and make one far more interesting.
Somewhere Someone Pays came back from the editor with advice on cutting a few of the characters (I agree) but I wanted to keep some because they were a strong part of the background, mood and setting.
There was one female character in particular who I wanted to keep (not least of all because she appears in the next short novel The Tiny Town) but I hadn’t given her a role.
In fact, she was one of the reasons why I wanted to write the story in the first place.
There was another female character with whom the editor had no objections (neither did I).
I realised that by blending the two characters into one, my newly created heroine can have a role and a meaty one at that (I hope).
I don’t think you can blend any two characters. Mine have many similarities in their outlook, general mood and beliefs which is why I think it will be quite easy to morph them into one.
The first step was to use ‘find’ and ‘replace’ on my Word document to morph the two characters into one. It didn’t take too long.
The next step will take more time and involves changing the way the story progresses so there are no ill-fitting pieces of information floating about.
I think I’ve identified another character who might be also be on the way out but I haven’t made a final decision yet.
A new Chapter 2 has also appeared even if it has only a couple of paragraphs.
And I have in mind another aspect – and one that is relevant – to the story to give it more depth (I hope) which means another chapter and quite a few changes in the dialogue.
On the home front, I’m still looking for a new flat/apartment.
And I’ve had a haircut.
We’re five months into 2021, which means nearly half way through the year. Agh!